Father Robert James McGraw WoodsBorn Glasgow 6 June 1932Entered 1950Ordained at Nunraw 19 March 1957Archdiocese of Pittsburgh 1964Died 15 January 1986Fr. Robert, James Woods, first pursued his vocation with the Franciscan Friars Minor and attended their college in Buckingham. In 1950 he joined the monks at Nunraw and was a member of the community until 1964. He entered into the Cistercian life with great enthusiasm. In addition to his scholastic studies he learned all the skills of gardening and eventually took over the fruit garden from his mentor, Fr. Benedict. He was assistant chaplain in the workers camp as volunteers came in the summer months to help with building the new abbey. He thought deeply and found his special interest in social questions and Philosophy. This led to further studies in Rome. Shortly after his return to the monastery he asked for a transfer to diocesan work and went to the United States where he lectured and exercised his priestly ministryNotice from Pittsburgh Catholic PaperThe Rev. James M. Woods, 53, chaplain of Sancta Sophia in Oakland, died in Presbyterian-University Hospital on Wednesday of complications from liver failure while awaiting a transplant.Father Woods, born in Glasgow, Scotland, was educated at St. Mark School in Glasgow; St. Bernardine College, Buckingham, England; Sancta Maria Abbey, Nunraw, Scotland, and the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas, better known as The Angelicum, in Rome.He was ordained a Catholic priest on March 19, 1957, at Sancta Maria Abbey, Nunraw, Scotland. He came to Pittsburgh in May 1964.In Pittsburgh, he served as assistant pastor from 1964 to 1967 at Our Lady of Loreto Parish, Brookline; as assistant pastor from 1967 to 1972 at St. Margaret Parish, Green Tree; as pastor from 1976 to 1978 at St. Christopher Parish and as pastor from 1978 to 1982 at Sacred Heart - St. Peter Parish, Tarentum.Father Woods was on sick leave from January 1982, until August 1985, when he became chaplain of Sancta Sophia.Since coming to Pittsburgh, he also served as chaplain to the Sisters of Mercy and as a part-time professor of theology at Carlow College, and he provided spiritual care f or children at Shuman Center.The funeral Mass was at St. Paul Cathedral, followed by burial at Our Lady of Hope Cemetery, Frazer.Father Woods was survived by his mother, Margaret McGraw Woods of Glasgow; a sister, Rose Mellon of Glasgow, four brothers, John, Richard, George and Joseph, all of Scotland.